Estonian Rosolje (Rose Oh Lee Ya)
As Maili Kern, of Parnu- Maa, Estonia, taught Lindsay Sterling in Portland, Maine.
- 4 medium yellow potatoes
- 5 medium beets
- 2 dill pickles, ¼ inch dice
- 1 Golden delicious apple
- 4 eggs
- 1 pound roast beef (roast your own or buy at a deli), cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices, then cubed
- 1 8oz. jar pickled herring, drained, small dice
- 1 head leaf lettuce
- ½. cup light mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Westphalian style pumpernickel bread (Rubschlager brand)
- dill sprigs for garnish (optional)
1. If you are roasting your own beef, do it in advance so the roast beef isn't hot when you make the salad. Brush it with olive oil, rub it with some garlic, season it with salt and pepper, and put it in a450 oven for 10 minutes, then turned the temp down to 325. Roast for 20 minutes per pound.
2. Steam or boil potatoes and beets separately until a fork slides into them with little resistance, let them cool, and refrigerate.
3. Hardboil eggs (cover with water, bring to a boil, turn to low and set timer for 13 minutes, strain, cover eggs with cold water, let rest 10 minutes, then peel shells off).
4. An hour before you want to eat, peel the potatoes and beets with a paring knife, and slice them into 1/2-inch cubes. Put these in a large mixing bowl. Cube the beef and apple the same size and add those. Dice the herring and pickle 1/4-inch thick and add those to the bowl.
5. In a separate bowl make the dressing by mixing sour cream, mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add more mustard, salt, and vinegar to taste.
6. Toss the dressing with the ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Line the edges of a large serving dish with lettuce. Fill the center of the dish with roast beef and root vegetable salad. Garnish the rim with wedges of hardboiled egg, and the center with a small bunch of dill. Serve with pumpernickel bread and butter.