As Erika Lopez and Herson Peraza from La Palma, El Salvador, taught Lindsay Sterling in Portland, ME. Photos and video by Lindsay Sterling.
Note: Curtido is a cabbage slaw served with Savadorian stuffed corn patties called pupusas.
Makes: 8 servings
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 small cabbage or part of a larger one, shaved finely with a paring knife
- 1 large carrot, grated on a grater
- 1/4 onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into rounds
- 1 small beet, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
1. Fill a medium pot half full of water and bring to a boil. Add cabbage. Drain cabbage immediately (you just want to soften the cabbage a little bit).
2. In a large mixing bowl mix cabbage, carrot, onion, jalepeño, and beet.
3. Mix salt, vinegar, water, and oregano in a separate container. Pour the liquid into the cabbage and mix. Keeps well in a jar in refrigerator for weeks, especially if the liquid covers the vegetables.